The time spent in the 4th/5th classroom today refreshed my enthusiasm for teaching. It went like this...
When I entered the classroom, following the 5th grade math lesson in the library, the teacher gave me a brief outline of who was doing what. Everyone was working on some sort of division math sheet with each place in the room signifying the different level of math they were at. As usual I wasn't quite sure what I was needed to do, so I chose a seat at the back of the room where four students were working. Other than the automatic, "Can you help me?" question coming from a student, who ask that on reflex, no one needed my help.
After about five minutes I noticed one of the students staring at his sheet of paper with few markings on it. In ascertaining that he needed my help I tried to find a good starting point. This student was in the lowest group and his work sheet was comprised of division problems that correlated with basic multiplication facts. It quickly became obvious to me that he had no concept of what "to divide" meant. I explained to him that what the question was really asking was, "How many groups of 4 dots can you make if you have eighteen dots? After you makes groups, do you have any dots left over?" I practiced a few problems with him and left him to try it for himself. This made for pretty slow going division, but he went with it.
A minute later another student, who was working on the same worksheet, had tears of frustration in his eyes and was walking purposefully toward the teacher. I offered him the same explanation I did the other student, worked with him for a little bit, and left him to work by himself.
I spent the rest of the time before lunch walking around the room, checking on various student's progress, paying particular attention to these two students. It was wonderful! Both of the boys were making excellent progress and even finding shortcuts. At one point I looked at the second boy's paper and found them all to be correct. "You're going to be teaching me how to do this pretty soon," I told him. Shyly he grinned, with dimples forming on his chubby cheeks, and kept working on his math sheet.
Within thirty minutes they were finished with their math and one of them was almost giddy. It was so rewarding!
So, *that's* why I am going to be a teacher. :)
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm glad you are finding the joys of teaching. Ultimately, no mater how bad the day is, it's the students that tend to make it better.
TAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so proud of you. Math is hard. I have a similar but not yet quite as amazing math story. I have not posted on my blog (as of this second) because I have been too overwhelmed with the past few days (as you know)...wait. Maybe I already told you the long division story? No. It happened on Friday. Anyway! Love Kellie
Isn't it wonderful to see the light come on in a child's mind! You have discovered one of the greatest joys and rewards of being a teacher, having a student "get" a previously unknown concept.
Keep up the great work, and contunue to enjoy the moment.
Tami!
I miss you! I am going to be home on Thursday and we should definitely plan som etime to get together this weekend to catch up and share some of our experiences...That is, if you have time! I love yu!
Post a Comment