Thursday, January 4, 2007

Day Two

Getting the feel of things

The drive went by quickly this morning as the three of us spent much of the time entertaining one another with our life stories. I think this will be a great opportunity to get to know the two MIT students who will be teaching at the school with me.

Today I felt much more involved that I did yesterday. I’m still trying to get the hang of things, especially the teaching style of the two or three teachers I have been observing. I was able to spend the morning in a fifth grade math lesson. It is great to be able to observe a completely different math curriculum. The one at the Tribal school is more focused on arithmetic where the one I have been observing for the past few months emphasizes connected math. I guess I had spent so much time with the new math that I almost forgot about the old school style.

My favorite part of the day, so far, is lunch. It’s not only because I’m starving by this point, but also because I enjoy eating with the kids. We get to talk about basketball, the holidays, Bowow (apparently he gets a new girlfriend every month… I never would have thought. Well, okay I’ve never really thought about Bowow at all.), and family. I am enjoying getting to know the students a little bit more every day. Today I had the opportunity to play eye-spy with some of the students. They’re pretty good. ☺

2 comments:

Doss said...

I´m suprised at your lack of knowledge about ¨Litte Bowwow¨ He´s going to be presidential material for sure!
Keep up the blog, it´s great hearing about what you are up to, I hope to hear more!

Ms. Halverson in the freezer said...

Um...I miss you already roomate, and you are just downstairs watching "Friends".
<3
Ms. Halverson